Welcome to a place with no windows or door. Freedom...

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Archlinux and LG P1

I first started to use linux with Ubuntu. Then I explored all the posible distros that derived from Ubuntu but did find and think that I like. Then i explored alot of diffrent desktop environment like Gnome, Kde, Lxde, Openbox and a few more. I was looking something lightweight, good looking and have good support for laptops. As Ubuntu is very user friendly but is a bit heavy. Then I turned to Archlinux. It's very custemizeble and lighter then Ubuntu. It has a good community. At first I installed Gnome but then once I was more finilier with Archlinux I started to look for a liker alternative to Gnome. That when I found Enlightement and started to use the newest version E17. It look very good but I don't know about how light is it but it is more custumuzeble and easy at the same time with out taking out all the options. Now that a snopshoot E17 is in the repo of the Archlinux it easer to install. Althought, I am working on a script that would download and install the bleeding edge of E17 for svn repo. It's almost complite but still has bugs.

Now on my LG P1, the speaker don't work out of the box. To make them work I did:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.conf

Then add this line:

options snd-hda-intel model=lg

Now my speaker work flowlessly with ALSA.

To have the wireless card work I need to edit the /etc/rc.conf file:

sudo nano /etc/rc.conf

Then in the MODULES section add an ! to the ipw3945 module and add iwl3945 it should look like this:

MODULES=(!ipw3945 iwl3945 snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-intel soundcore)


The other modules are for sound. So far that the only this that I know about.

No comments: