Welcome to a place with no windows or door. Freedom...

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Slight complications

Again with the aid of my assistant, I'll (we'll) write another post.

After searching for a way to have Hardy Heron be lighter, I found one of two ways to do it. One way is to install normally and try to cut away as much as you can, within the limitations of the package dependencies (The package that everything depends on is Ubuntu-desktop). The other way is to install a command line system and build it up from there.
I tried the first way a couple of times, but got frustrated with it because I couldn't remove everything that I wanted to, due to the dependencies. The second way proved to be more challenging, because my limited knowledge prevented me from connecting to a secure wireless network. Although it's not impossible, it's quite challenging; instead I connected myself to the Internet through the Ethernet port of my LG P1 laptop.
First, I acquired the IP address from the router with sudo dhclient [interface], where [interface] is the name of your ethernet interface. To find your ethernet interface, use lshw -C network to see all of your interfaces. After you have acquired your IP address, use sudo ifconfig [interface] up to enable your ethernet interface.

From there, you use sudo apt -get install xorg to install the x server, which handles the graphical display. Next, you can install the login manager (optional), which is the gdm package for GNOME. Then install a file manager and window manager. I tried to use gnome-core, which already has both file and window manager. This is the barebone installation, with only the bare necessities. Not the lightest, but I find it comfortable.

After struggling to have everything working again as normal, I have given up and installed the heavier version again. Because my laptop restarts on Hardy for some reason, I decided to install 7.10 (Gutsy).

One thing that never worked from the beginning, in any distribution of Ubuntu, are my speakers. But my sounds work through headphones. To fix that, I created /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel and inside I put options snd-hda-intel model=lg. After restarting, my speakers worked.

No comments: